This is a real SEAFOOD gumbo. No meat in here. This is the best gumbo I’ve ever had. The crab boil is the key ingredient – do not omit it. The smell will drive you nuts!!! NOTE: If you can’t find Crab Boil at your grocery, please refer to Crab Boil Spices by Candie Yoder or #34801 by Miller (Oysters are optional, I don’t eat them myself)
- Prep Time 20 mins
- Total Time 2 hrs 20 mins
- Servings 6-8
- 1/4 cup oil
- 3 -4 tablespoons flour
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 (1 lb) bag frozen chopped okra
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, w/liquid
- 4 -5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 -3 tablespoons crab boil, tied in cheesecloth
- salt & pepper
- hot pepper sauce
- 2 lbs raw shrimp, peeled
- 1 lb crabmeat or 2 cans crabmeat
- 1 pint oyster ( OPTIONAL)
- 1 lb firm white fish fillet ( halibut, white fish, cod)
- 1 tablespoon gumbo file powder
- To make a roux, heat oil, add flour and cook over medium heat until VERY dark but not scorched, stirring constantly. If using butter, be very careful because it burns easily. Set aside.
- In large dutch oven, saute onion, celery, and okra until limp.
- Add roux, broth, tomatoes, garlic, bay leaves, crab boil packet, and salt and pepper. (NOTE: If you can’t find Crab Boil at your grocery, please refer to Crab Boil Spices by Candie Yoder or # 34801 by Miller)
- Simmer for 2 hours.
- 10 minutes before serving, add all raw fish and seafood and the file powder.
- Simmer until done, but do not boil.
- Serve over bowls of rice.