Tasty Seafood Enchilads with a creamy white sauce.
- Prep Time 20 mins
- Total Time 1 hr
- Servings 12
- 2 medium white onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 (7 ounce) cans diced green chilies
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb crabmeat, picked over for cartilage
- 1 lb baby shrimp
- 1 cup walnut halves, toasted
- 1 (12 ounce) cans medium pitted ripe olives, drained and halved
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, shredded
- vegetable oil ( for frying)
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- To toast walnuts, place in a shallow baking pan.
- Bake at 350*F (175*C) for 15 to 20 minutes or until walnuts are lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- In large skillet, saute onions in butter until they become transparent.
- Remove from heat and add chilies, crab, shrimp, walnuts, and olives.
- Combine cheeses, reserving 1 1/2 cups of the cheese mixture for top of casserole.
- Stir remaining cheese into seafood mixture.
- In medium skillet, heat 1/4 inch oil.
- Fry tortillas, one a time, just long enough to soften, about 30 seconds.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Fill each tortilla with seafood filling, roll up and place seam side down in a lightly greased 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish.
- In medium saucepan, combine the half and half, sour cream, butter, oregano, salt and garlic powder, stirring constantly over medium heat until lukewarm and well blended.
- Remove from heat and pour sauce over enchiladas.
- Sprinkle enchiladas with reserved cheese.
- Bake at 350*F (175*C) for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Allow to set 5 minutes before serving.