Quick and easy sugar cookies that taste like grandma’s homemade holiday cookies but are as simple as slice and bake. This recipe evolved because friends were craving dessert but I only had pantry ingredients and NO baking powder. I used more baking soda as a substitution and they worked like a charm. Two dozen cookies, gone in a flash.
- Prep Time 10 mins
- Total Time 18 mins
- Yield 24 cookies
- 2 3/4 cups flour ( all purpose is fine)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup butter ( softened in microwave)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 egg ( large)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- sugar ( for rolling the dough balls in before baking)
- Preheat oven to 375°F In a bowl, mix flour and baking soda.
- In a larger bowl, cream sugar and softened butter until smooth. Mix in the egg and vanilla extract. Blend in the dry ingredients slowly until combined. I first made these with a fork instead of a mixer and it was fine. Hand roll into balls (teaspoon size) and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Optional: Roll the dough balls in a mix of cinnamon and sugar before placing on the baking sheet.
- Bake 8 – 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Let the cookies cool for 2 minutes away from the heat before devouring.