Can be done a day ahead. Add the garnish before serving. It can be served as an appetizer in shot glasses (12 servings). Or it can be served as starters (6 servings) in espresso cups, martini glass. It comes from Ricardo.
- Prep Time 25 mins
- Total Time 35 mins
- Servings 6-12
- Poultry liver mousse 1/2 lb poultry chicken liver, trimmed
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon cognac
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- Garnish 1 firm pear, but ripe finely diced in 1/4 inch
- 2 teaspoons marmalade
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- fresh chives, finely chopped, to garnish
- Poultry Liver Mousse : In a skillet, brown poultry liver and shallots in butter at high heat. Add salt and pepper. Deglaze with wine and cognac. Let reduce by half or until the liver is pink.
- In food processor, reduce the liver in a smooth puree with sugar, oregano and 1/4 cup of heavy cream. Strain in a sieve. Cover and refrigerate about 45 minutes or until completely cold.
- In another bowl, whip remaining heavy cream until soft peaks. With a spatula, add whipped cream to liver mousse by folding. Adjust seasonings.
- To serve as appetizer, distribute in shot glasses. Cover and refrigerate about 45 minutes or until ready to serve. To serve as a starter, distribute in espresso cups, martini glass or other small bowl that contains 1/3 cup.
- Garnish: In a bowl, stir all ingredients. Add salt and pepper. When ready to serve, garnish each serving with 1 teaspoon of the garnish. Garnish with chives, if wanted.