For smaller sandwiches like these, we prefer to smash the avocado into a spread before assembling so that no slippery slices are lost on the journey from plate to mouth.
- Yield Serves 4 (serving size: 2 sliders)
- 8 (1-ounce) whole-wheat slider buns, halved crosswise
- Cooking spray
- 12 ounces extra-lean ground pork
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 ripe peeled avocado
- 2 small ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 8 small Bibb lettuce leaves
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Lightly coat cut sides of buns with cooking spray. Place buns, cut sides down, in pan, cook 1 minute or until lightly toasted.
- Combine pork, parsley, salt, and garlic powder in a medium bowl, gently mixing with hands. Divide mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/4-inch-thick patty. Lightly coat both sides of patties with cooking spray. Arrange patties in pan coated with cooking spray, cook 2 minutes. Turn patties over, top patties evenly with cheese. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Combine lemon juice and avocado in a bowl, mash avocado with a fork, and stir to combine. Spread avocado mixture evenly over bottom halves of buns. Place 1 patty on each bottom bun. Top each with 1 tomato slice and 1 lettuce leaf. Top with top halves of buns. Serve immediately.