This is a very economical dish, but it is very tasty! Served with some bread and possibly a salad, you could have a poor man’s dinner party!
- Prep Time 10 mins
- Total Time 1 hr 30 mins
- Servings 4
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups canned tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon catsup
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- 1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 (5 ounce) packages elbow macaroni
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Brown ground been in shortening until all red color disappears. Drain all but 1 1/2 tsp grease from the skillet.
- Add the onion, tomatoes, catsup, steak sauce, green pepper, and parsley. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the macaroni according to package directions. Combine macaroni and ground beef mixture in a 2 quart baking dish. Season with salt and pepper to taste, keeping in mind that you will be adding a cream of soup.
- Gently spoon mushroom soup into mixture. Mix lightly, lifting from the bottom. Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese into the mix and stir. Add the other 1 cup of cheese on the top.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes, or until top is bubbly and browned.