From South of the Sahara: Traditional Cooking from the Lands of West Africa by Elizabeth A. Jackson. This spicy, fruity drink needs to sit in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours and as much as a day. It can also be the basis for a wonderful cocktail made with rum or vodka.
- Prep Time 15 mins
- Total Time 12 hrs 15 mins
- Serves 8,
- Yield 0.5 gallon
- 1 large fresh pineapple
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 stalk gingerroot, peeled ( about 6-inch cut in thirds)
- 8 cups boiling water
- Slice pineapple, the peel, the core and all, into thin slices.
- Combine the sliced pineapple with the cloves, sugar and ginger in a bowl large enough to hold the water.
- Pour the boiling water over the mixture and stir.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hours and up to a day.
- When ready to serve, strain into a pitcher, discarding the pineapple solids and spices.