Substitute apricots or raisins for chopped pitted dates in this recipe if you like. The dried fruits, nuts, oatmeal, wheat bran, and whole wheat flour contribute plenty of fiber to each morning glory muffin. Complete your breakfast with fat-free yogurt and fruit.
- Yield 18 servings (serving size: 1 muffin)
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (about 4 3/4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 ounces)
- 1 cup regular oats
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon wheat bran
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup chopped pitted dates
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped dried pineapple
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed (about 2 tablespoons whole)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place 18 muffin cups liners in muffin cups, coat liners with cooking spray.
- Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flours and next 5 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl, stir with a whisk. Make a well in center of mixture. Combine yogurt, banana, and egg, add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Fold in dates, walnuts, and pineapple. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle evenly with flaxseed. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Remove muffins from pans immediately, cool on a wire rack.