Lentil soup flavored with sausage and herbs. Serve with Romano cheese sprinkled on top of each serving bowl.
- Prep 15 m
- Cook 3 h
- Ready In 3 h 15 m
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 (16 ounce) package dry lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 8 cups water
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 pound ditalini pasta (optional)
- Place sausage in a large pot. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Add onion, celery and chopped garlic, and saute until tender and translucent. Stir in lentils, carrot, water, chicken broth and tomatoes. Season with garlic powder, parsley, bay leaves, oregano, thyme, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Cover, and simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in pasta, and cook 15 to 20 minutes, or until pasta is tender.