“I substituted beef mince for the chuck steak in the original recipe to turn these delicious pies into a speedy weeknight meal. I also reduced the amount of stock to create a lovely thick sauce.” â Kim Coverdale, food editor, Super Food Ideas. Original recipe submitted by Mrs Tempest.
- Ingredients 9
- Prep Time 00:20
- Cook Time 00:50
- Makes 4
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 brown onion chopped
- 500 g beef mince
- 1 cup beef stock (liquid)
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 2 sheets shortcrust pastry just thawed
- 1 sheet puff pastry just thawed
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 frying pan 1 pie pans
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened and starting to brown.
- Add mince. Cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, for 5 minutes or until browned. Add stock and soy sauce. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Blend cornflour with 1 tablespoon cold water in a small bowl. Add to mince mixture. Cook for 2 minutes or until mixture bubbles and thickens. Cool in pan for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 220ËC/200ËC fan-forced. Place an oven tray in oven. Grease 4 x 4cm-deep, 1-cup-capacity pie dishes. Cut shortcrust pastry sheets in half diagonally. Line base and sides of dishes with pastry. Trim edges. Fill with mince mixture. Brush edges of pies with egg. Cut puff pastry into 4 squares. Cover tops of pies. Press edges to seal. Brush tops with egg. Cut a small slit in pastry tops.
See the original recipe:Individual Meat Pies
COST PER SERVE: