Blended cauliflower and nutritional yeast make the cheese sauce in this creamy mac and cheese recipe extra hearty for a warm and comforting meal.
- Prep 15 m
- Cook 45 m
- Ready In 1 h
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, cubed
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Bring water to a boil. Add cauliflower, cover, and steam until tender, about 25 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook elbow macaroni in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite, 8 minutes. Drain and transfer to a 9×13-inch casserole dish.
- Blend cauliflower, yogurt, chicken broth, and olive oil in a blender until smooth, pour cauliflower mixture into a saucepan over medium heat. Stir Cheddar cheese, nutritional yeast, mustard powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and nutmeg into cauliflower mixture, cook and stir until cheese sauce is smooth, about 5 minutes. Pour cheese sauce over macaroni, toss to coat.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Mix Parmesan cheese and panko crumbs together in a bowl, sprinkle over macaroni. Bake until Parmesan cheese is melted, 3 to 5 minutes.