Comfort food on a cold winter’s night, cabbage simmered in chicken broth is also an age-old folk remedy for curing the common cold.
- Prep 30 m
- Cook 45 m
- Ready In 1 h 15 m
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 quarts water
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 head cabbage, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, drained and diced
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Stir in onion and garlic, cook until onion is transparent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in water, bouillon, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then stir in cabbage. Simmer until cabbage wilts, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes. Return to a boil, then simmer 15 to 30 minutes, stirring often.