I have used this recipe for over 30 years. I first saw it in a cookbook put together by factory workers. I received this cookbook as a gift and have since made it my main and favorite cookbook. It is so ragged and well used. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have making them.
- Prep Time 3 hrs
- Total Time 3 hrs 15 mins
- Servings 18
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup scalded milk
- 2 eggs
- 4 1/2-5 cups flour
- Soften yeast in warm water.
- In large mixing bowl combine sugar, butter, salt and milk.
- Cool to luke warm.
- Stir in eggs and yeast.
- Gradually add flour to form a stiff dough, beating well after each addition.
- Knead methold: Knead on floured surface until smooth and satiny (about 5 minutes).
- Cover, let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Work done, cover, let rise again until about double, put into rolls and let rise again for another hour.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes at 350 degrees.