Have your little helpers mix up the glaze, while older kids can help skewer the beef.
- Yield Serves 4 (serving size: 2 skewers, 2/3 cup rice, and 2/3 cup slaw)
- 3 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 cups packaged coleslaw
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped red chile pepper
- 3/8 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 4 green onions, diagonally cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound sirloin steak, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 (8 1/2-ounce) pouches precooked brown basmati rice
- Combine the first 4 ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat, bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes or until reduced to 1/4 cup, stirring frequently.
- Combine coleslaw, oil, juice, sugar, ginger, chile, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and onions in a bowl, toss.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Thread beef evenly onto 8 (8-inch) skewers. Arrange skewers on pan, cook 2 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Brush soy sauce mixture over skewers, sprinkle with remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt. Heat rice according to package directions. Serve skewers over rice with slaw.