Take Christmas gingerbread to the next level by adding a creamy layer of vanilla ice cream between two spicy gingerbread cookies. The perfect Aussie Christmas dessert!
- Ingredients 8
- Prep Time 00:20
- Cook Time 00:15
- Serves 6
- Makes 12
- 3 cups plain flour
- 120 g butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup golden syrup
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 160˚C.
- Cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Keep the mixer on low speed and add the egg and golden syrup until fully combined.
- Mix all the dry ingredients into a separate bowl and then gradually add them to the mixer until a dough forms.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead quickly until it’s soft and pliable. Form it into a disc, wrap in glad wrap and chill for one hour in the fridge.
- Roll the dough out to 1cm thickness and cut out 12 (or more) gingerbread shapes.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and place the gingerbread shapes onto the tray.
- Bake for 10 – 15 minutes until slightly golden. Let them cool on the tray, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once the cookies are completely cooled, use a palette knife or similar wide bladed knife, to place a layer of ice cream on one cookie, topping it off with a second cookie to create the sandwich. Use the knife to smooth around the edges and trim off the excess ice cream.
- Put all the cookies in an airtight container in the freezer to firm up the ice cream before serving.
- Serve the gingerbread sandwiches on a chilled platter to keep them from melting. Eat them quickly!
This recipe was created for Kidspot.