This easy orange cake is my go-to recipe for an impromptu afternoon tea. Easy and delicious!
- Ingredients 8
- Prep Time 00:15
- Cook Time 00:50
- Serves 16
- 185 g butter melted
- 1 orange large
- 3 egg
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 8cm x22.5cm loaf pan saucepan electric mixer stick blender
- Boil the orange for 5 minutes and then puree the whole orange in a food processor. Cool slightly
- Add the butter, eggs, sugar and flour. Mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a greased and lined 18cm cake pan.
- Bake in a moderate oven for approx 50 minutes.
- Once cooked, take out of the oven and let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Meanwhile combine the syrup ingredients. With a small skewer poke some holes in the top of the cake, turn it out and put on a rack with a plate underneath (to catch run-off). Slowly pour the syrup onto the cake. Once steeped in syrup, serve either warm or cooled, with or without cream.
Try choosing an orange with minimal pith.
Optional: If you would like to adjust the syrup, add a tbsp of Grand Marnier.