Snow peas, spinach, and chicken breast give this 5-star Coconut-Curry Chicken Soup flavor, texture, and a wealth of nutrients.
- Yield 7 servings (serving size: 2 cups soup and 1 lime wedge)
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 pound snow peas, trimmed and cut in half crosswise
- 1 (5 3/4-ounce) package pad thai noodles (wide rice stick noodles)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 2 teaspoons red curry paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can light coconut milk
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 small hot red chiles, seeded and chopped, or 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 7 lime wedges
- Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add spinach and peas to pan, cook for 30 seconds. Remove vegetables from pan with a slotted spoon, place in a large bowl. Add noodles to pan, cook 3 minutes. Drain, add noodles to spinach mixture in bowl.
- Heat canola oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and the next 5 ingredients (through garlic) to pan, sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add chicken broth to pan, and bring to a boil. Add coconut milk to pan, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Add chicken, onions, sugar, and fish sauce to pan, cook for 2 minutes. Pour chicken mixture over noodle mixture in bowl. Stir in cilantro and chiles. Serve with lime wedges.