We had this for breakfast this morning. The original recipe is from a local cookbook dedicated to the memory of a local teenager that died from a heart attack, Patrick W. Cox. I have made various changes in the original, so I hope you like it. We did.
- Prep Time 45 mins
- Total Time 1 hr 20 mins
- Serves 4-6,
- Yield 1.0 pie
- 1/2 lb sausage
- 4 cups diced potatoes ( diced very small, this is about 5-6 small potatoes)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 -8 eggs, beaten ( the original calls for 6 but mine were small so I used 8)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese ( divided)
- 4 ounces fresh baby portabella mushrooms
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, for frying potatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) cans crescent rolls
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brown sausage and drain.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan over medium heat.
- When very hot, but not smoking, add potatoes and brown them very well until crispy (this will take about 20-25 minutes).
- Drain on paper towel.
- Line a lightly sprayed pie plate with the crescent rolls, points in the middle. Leave a little space between each one then work the dough with your hands to cover the entire pie plate.
- Add sausage and cover with 1/2 cup cheddar cheese.
- Add the crisp potatoes and cover with 1/2 cup cheddar cheese.
- Lay the mushroom on top of the potatoes.
- Add salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to the egg mixture and pour over the top.
- Bake for 35 minutes. The last 10 minuutes add 1/2 cup cheddar cheese to top.