I bought one of these candy trains at a bazaar about 30 years ago and decided that I would copy it since it was so cute. These are great for little and big kids on your Christmas list. I have also subbed Halloween & Easter candy to fit the season.
- Prep Time 30 mins
- Total Time 30 mins
- Yield 1 train
- 1 (16 ounce) cans betty crocker vanilla frosting
- 16 ounces fun size Snickers candy bars
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) roll LifeSavers five-flavor roll candy
- 1 yellow M&M’s plain chocolate candy
- 1 piece aluminum foil, wrapped santa
- 1 orange slice
- 1 Hershey chocolate kiss, in red or green aluminum foil
- 1 (1 lb) bag red & green M&M’s plain chocolate candy
- 3 Tootsie Rolls, midgies
- 1 small red lollipops
- 1 small green lollipops
- 2 red starbrite peppermint candies
- 2 foil wrapped candies
- Start with cardboard cut into 5″ wide by 18″ long. Wrap it with foil and tape foil to the back.
- Set a yardstick down the middle and mark it with a pen along each long side for the full length.
- Pipe the 2 lines with canned frosting.
- Take 5 of the unwrapped candybars and use frosting to glue on the green and red M&Ms as wheels.
- 1″ from the end, place the orange slice, gluing it down with some frosting. This will be the cow catcher.
- Place 1 of the candy bars with “wheels” (and some frosting for glue underneath it)butting it up next to the orange slice. Push down slightly for frosting to hold.
- Take off wrapper from lifesavers, and open 1 end and remove some candies so that it is the same length as the candy bar. Cut off the excess wrapper leaving enough foil to fold over.
- Pipe a line of frosting down center of 1st candy bar and then press down foil covered lifesavers (make sure that cut end is facing away from the orange slice.).
- Put frosting on end of lifesavers foil(above orange slice, cow catcher)press on the yellow m&m as a light.
- Pipe some frosting directly on foil base behind 1st candy bar and on the end (away from orange slice)and now press the foil santa’s feet into the frosting on the base and his belly onto the back of the candy bar & lifesafers.
- Leave about 1.5 inches and put down the next candy car and then 1.5″ space then the next and so forth until all 5 candy bar “cars” have been placed and look centered on the foil base.
- On the second car, frost the top and then place 3 tootsie roll midgees to look like logs, using frosting to hold them.
- On third car, frost the top and then stick the 2 lollipops into it with them both facing forward.
- On the forth car, frost the top and then stick on the starbrite candies on their sides facing each other with a dap of frosting between them to help them stand up.
- on the fifth car, frost the top and then push down the foil wrapped candies.