Tasty beef parcels, easy enough for a midweek dinner and presentable for a dinner party.
- Ingredients 5
- Prep Time 00:15
- Cook Time 00:45
- Serves 4
- 4 scotch fillet steak (beef)
- 4 sheets puff pastry defrosted
- 150 g chicken pate
- 4 mushrooms sliced
- 1 egg beaten
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Cook each steak ½ way to preference e.g. for ‘well done’ cook steak until ‘medium’.
- Place steak on paper towel and allow to cool slightly.
- Fry mushrooms for 1-2 minutes in remaining steak juices, then set aside.
- Place each steak in the middle of a pastry sheet and spread with ¼ of the pate each, and top with mushroom slices.
- Fold pastry over steaks, enclosing completely and sealing edges with water.
- Place parcels on an oven tray lined with baking paper.
- Brush with beaten egg and bake for 30-45 minutes or until golden.
These can be prepared and refrigerated until ready to go into the oven. I usually do an extra egg brush ½ way through cooking. By only cooking the steak partly at the beginning the oven portion finishes it off and won’t dry it out. Recipe adapted from one cut out of a magazine.