Here is a basic trifle recipe that can be built upon in so many ways. Here, I have listed only a few of the MANY variations you can make using this recipe. Have fun and experiment and please let me know what you come up with. This recipe is awesome. Cook time is chill time and will be longer if you make your own cake.
- Prep Time 45 mins
- Total Time 2 hrs 45 mins
- Servings 10-12
- 1 pre-made cake
- 2 instant pudding mix ( I use Bird’s custard mix)
- 2 (1 lb) bags frozen fruit or 2 (1 lb) bags fresh fruit
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup whipped cream
- additional fresh fruit ( to garnish)
- 1/3 cup sherry wine or 1/3 cup juice or 1/3 cup water
- Prepare pudding or custard according to directions and let cool.
- Mix the fruit with the sherry.
- Cut the cake into 1″ chunks and place 1/2 of the chunks in the bottom of a trifle bowl.
- Layer 1/2 of the fruit on top of the cake layer and top with 1/2 the pudding.
- Repeat layering.
- Top with whipped cream and garnish with fresh fruit.
- Chill well before serving.
- To make a low fat trifle, use angel food cake, fat-free pudding and low fat whipped cream.
- Strawberry Shortcake Trifle- Yellow or Angel food cake, custard and strawberries.
- Black Forest Trifle- Chocolate cake, raspberries and custard.
- Tropical Trifle- Angel food cake, mixed pineapple, mangoes, papayas, vanilla or lemon pudding. Sprinkle with shredded coconut.
- Apples and cream Trifle- Spice Cake, Apple pie filling and custard.
- Banana Creme Trifle- White or chocolate cake, Sliced Bananas, Custard.