WELL – this is a yummy one! My kids LOVE to help make these! ENJOY! D
- Prep Time 45 mins
- Total Time 50 mins
- Yield 24 pretzels
- 1 1/4 cups water ( approx 105 degrees)
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups occident flour ( bread flour)
- 2 cups flour
- Dipping solution 1/2 cup baking soda, into
- 3 cups hot water
- sweet creamy butter, for ‘dipping’ face of pretzels after baking ( melt butter, then let set a few minutes, and use paper towel to remove cream which will float to the)
- Dissolve yeast into warm water.
- Add sugar, then flour mix well- do not ‘knead’ as this toughens the dough.
- (Mix just until combined well) Let rise until doubled, at least 20 minutes.
- Cut into long ‘ropes’.
- Shape into pretzel shapes, then dip into prepared dipping solution.
- Place on well-greased cookie sheet and sprinkle with pretzel salt.
- Bake at 500-550°F for 4-6 minutes until golden brown.
- Dip face of pretzel into melted butter.
- Variation: add 1 t vanilla to the dough.
- Flavor variations.
- Cinnamon/sugar- omit salt dip into cinnamon sugar after face has been coated with butter.
- Sour cream onion- after dipping face of pretzel in butter, sprinkle with sour cream onion powder Garlic- same as sour cream onion, but use garlic powder.
- Sesame or poppy seed–BEFORE baking, AFTER dipping into dipping solution, dip pretzel face-down into the seeds, then bake.
- Salt is optional with this one.